#263–Fun with unusual painting jobs . . .

I had two relatively easy painting jobs lined up and had a couple of dry, non-windy days to work on them. Although, as I was finishing up awhile ago, it started misting, which soon turned to drizzle. So the second day was almost dry all day. This time of year, that’s all we can hope for.

This is mid-day, but all light is blocked with my crazy quilt covering. This enabled me to see what I was doing when I painted the door.

Garage side door

When I painted the side door to the garage a couple of weeks ago, I did the outside and it turned out great. I could see every detail while I was painting, and I was adding another coat of the same color. I also painted the inside of the door that same day––or tried to.  The door has a window, and with the sunlight coming in, it blinded me to really seeing what I was doing. I painted it, anyway, but it definitely was not my best work. And I was covering up a different color. So for more than one reason, it needed a second coat.

I decided to do it after dark. No light coming through the window then. But when I thought it through, I decided not such a good idea. I would need to leave the door open part way for a few hours for the paint to dry, and I did not want to do that after dark. So I decided to cover the window and then paint the door.

I had just gone to the dump the day before and had no old newspaper or flattened cardboard to use. So I used a smallish piece of cardboard that I use to cover the driveway drain empty point when I am sweeping out the drain, and I borrowed a few paper bags from my bag of bags. Then I got my trusty blue masking tape and went to work.

I had to stand on a stool to reach the top.

It took awhile but I got every bit of the window covered. I used a ton of tape—especially on the backsides. Everything was still up long after I was through painting. Even though it looked like a crazy quilt of sorts, it worked; it kept the sunlight out. It would win no awards for beauty, or anything else, but it was fun to figure out a way to get the window covered to totally block the light.

When I got started on the painting, it was wonderful to see what I was doing. I was really pleased with how it turned out, and it still looked great the next morning. Since it was totally dry, I took out my crazy quilt window covering and put the curtain back up.

Brass Yard Critters

f loved the blue/green patina when they were new.

I have two cranes and a duck, which I bought the summer of 2008. They were not cheap, even though they were on sale. I loved them––especially their blue/green patina. Within a few years, it started flaking off. I was very disappointed.

I spray-painted them with a brass color in 2015 that I didn’t like as well but got used to. Again, they looked good for a few years before the flaking started again.

This is their new brass color in 2015.

Now, it was time for another coat. I got out my can of spray paint left over from 2015. It was not going to be enough, but I got them ready anyway.

I flaked off all the patina that was loose. Then I brought them in the house and gave them a bath. What a hoot to see each of them in the soapy water. When I was drying the tallest crane, the phone rang. When I came back, it was such a funny sight to see the towel draped over the crane, I just had to take a photo.

This morning when I was doing my early Friday morning grocery run at Fred Meyer, I checked the spray paints and got the closest to what I had. Not exact but should work.

After the bath. All three had a bath.

After sanitizing the groceries and washing the produce, I got ready to paint. I pulled my car out of the garage, spread an old sheet, and the few pieces of newspaper with ads that I got at Freddies. Then I pulled out some paper bags to put under the duck. I got out my large cardboard that a six-foot table came in. I use it to block the spray from getting all over everything whenever I spray paint. Today, I simply moved it from critter to critter when it was their turn.

Waiting at the door. You can see where some of the patina has flaked off.

It didn’t take long, thank goodness. The fumes were bad, even though I had the garage door partially open. When I finished, I opened it all the way and got a fan going to disperse the fumes. Within a couple of hours, the critters were dry. I put them aside and brought in the car. They look a lot better than they did, and I think the color will work. After a couple of days, I’ll put them back in the yard.

Looking good again. In a couple days, they will be back in the yard having fun.

These two painting projects turned out to be more fun than I thought. I seem to be painting, staining, lacquering everything in sight. That must be what happens when your normal life stops and you’re home most days. Hmm! What should I paint next? . . .

About crossingsauthor

Judy Fleagle spent 22 years teaching 1st and 2nd grades and 21 years as editor/staff writer with Oregon Coast and Northwest Travel magazines.Since 2009, she has written five books: "Crossings: McCullough's Coastal Bridges," "The Crossings Guide to Oregon's Coastal Spans," "Around Florence," "Devil Cat and Other Colorful Animals I Have Known," and "The Oregon Coast Guide to the UNEXPECTED!!!."
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to #263–Fun with unusual painting jobs . . .

  1. Jasmine Rose says:

    You did an amazing painting job! 😍

  2. Phyllis Bright says:

    Beautiful Judy!

Comments are closed.