#152–A long day’s journey . . .

I didn’t want to get up at 4:30 a.m. when the alarm jangled me awake. But I didn’t have much choice. I had much to do before heading up the coast. I had hoped to leave by 7 a..m. , but I was picking up flyers and posters instead at that time. Talk about last minute! Bernie of The Copier Doctor had been up late cutting flyers so that I could have them. So it was 7:30 a.m. before I picked up Connie Bradley, my Florence Festival of Books co-chair.

We were going up the coast and planned 15 stops between Waldport and Tillamook. We would be passing out flyers and posters to most venues and books at a couple of others. I only drive to Tillamook once a year or so. It is about as far as I can drive in one day and not have to spend the night and still have time to accomplish something. It takes six hours round-trip with perfect driving conditions and more when you factor in heavy fog, the motor homes of August, and traffic slow-downs in Lincoln City––all of which we had.

On the coast, we jokingly say, “If you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes or drive five miles.” On Thursday, we proved it over and over again. We had fog and light rain when we started. When the rain let up we had fog that we drove through, above, and below. On the higher bluffs bordering the ocean, we often looked down on fog that hid the waves and made us feel on the edge of the world. On the headlands, the fog became so thick, I wanted to turn back. But before I knew it, we would be heading down and be below the fog. Then once we turned inland above Lincoln City we left the wet stuff behind. We had puffy clouds and periods of sun. It was simply lovely––until we returned to Lincoln City and points south.

On this trip, our plan was to head straight to Tillamook. Most of the places we were stopping at were open between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. So we would visit places in Tillamook first and then work our way south and hope to get to everyone before 5 p.m. I had pre-called every place where we would be stopping two days before, so we would be expected.


The only rest stop on the coast is just south of Tillamook. After three hours on the road, it felt good to stretch our legs and have a pit stop. Because I have a magnetic sign on the passenger side of my car about the upcoming FFOB, the lady in the car next to us, asked us about the event. So we told her and before you knew it, both Connie and I were showing her our books and giving her a flyer about the event. She said she’d be there. We’re shameless when it comes to our books and our event!

We stopped at the Tillamook County Pioneer Museum, and I dropped off three books and an invoice and chatted with my contact, Ruby.

Connie takes her ice cream cone seriously!

Connie takes her ice cream cone seriously!

Then onto the local chamber of commerce, whose visitor center is in the Tillamook Cheese Factory parking lot. We dropped off flyers and posters and then walked into the very crowded lobby of the Cheese Factory.

After three hours on the road, we rewarded ourselves! Yum!!

After three hours on the road, we rewarded ourselves! Yum!!

We found the cheese section and made our selections––Connie likes the curds and I like the really aged cheese. Then we lucked out and didn’t have to wait at all to make our ice cream cone choices. I never stop here without getting an ice cream cone. We each got two huge scoops––Connie in a cone and mine in a cone-style dish. What a lot of incredibly yummy, rich, decadent ice cream. We enjoyed every bite, and I vowed to never eat again. They should sell T-shirts that proclaim, “ I survived two scoops of Tillamook ice cream!” Before we left, I drove to the warehouse in the back area and dropped off a dozen books and the invoice. The cheese factory is one of my best venues.

Then we dropped off flyers and posters at the Tillamook Public Library.

Lincoln City

First stop was Bob’s Beach Books where Diana gladly accepted flyers and posters, and we wished her luck on her book fair on August 16. Connie, also sold her two of her new book, Lulu the Dancing Snail.

Next was the Lincoln City Cultural Center, where we dropped off flyers and posters at the information room. The Center is the retrofitted DeLake School, and it’s a fabulous addition to Lincoln City and use of a no-longer-in-use school.

The Driftwood Library is on the second floor and the Culinary Center on the top floor. Fabulous views from up there.

The Driftwood Library is on the second floor and the Culinary Center on the top floor. Fabulous views from up there.

Our next stop was to the Lincoln Square Building that I think was also retrofitted to meet needs other than its original purpose. The multi-story building, which houses the Driftwood Library also is home to the fabulously popular Culinary Center on the fourth floor. We dropped off flyers and posters at the library and moved on.

Pippin welcomes everyone at Roberts Book Shop in Lincoln City.

Pippin welcomes everyone at Roberts Book Shop in Lincoln City.

Our last stop was to the also fabulously popular Robert’s Book Shop. We dropped off flyers and posters and said, Hi!” to Pippin, Bob’s tail-wagging special assistant. Then we got back out into the stop-and-go traffic of Lincoln City.

Gleneden Beach

We stopped at Allegory Books & Games in the Salishan Shops. Unfortunately, most of the shops have become vacant in the past couple of years. Helen, the proprietor at Allegory, also owns another business in the complex. Because of the lack of customers, she will be combining both businesses into one location in September. I wish her luck; Allegory is a marvelous place.

The shops at Salishan are mostly vacant. See the papered windows behind me. It is a lovely shopping center;. Note the beautiful flowers.

The shops at Salishan are mostly vacant. See the papered windows behind me. It is a lovely shopping center; note the beautiful flowers in the planter.

In the parking lot, the lady next to us wanted to know about the FFOB, so once again Connie and I were forced to drag out our books and give her a flyer about the event. She actually has a book that she’s been working on and was very interested. She also bought both of Connie’s books! You just never know!

Depoe Bay

We stopped at Tidal Raves for a quick and satisfying late lunch. Much to our amazement, we actually did become hungry, but since it was close to 4 p.m., we didn’t want much. We had a bowl of soup and wonderful bread. And I had a cup of coffee to keep me awake. Between 4 and 6 p.m. is my sleepy time.

Otter Rock

I intended to stop at the Flying Dutchman Winery, but sailed on past. Connie, in her role as co-pilot, brought it to my attention. So we turned around at Beverly Beach State Park and backtracked. They were expecting me. I handed Dani the little stack of six Crossings Guides and said, “They’re really small. Don’t you want more?” This ploy works about half the time. She looked at the books and changed the order to 12. You just never know!


I called ahead to let the Newport Chamber know that we would not be there after all, but that I would deliver the flyers and posters in a couple of weeks. I’ll also deliver to the Newport Public Library at the same time.

Our last stop was to Ulrike at the Nye Beach Book House. She had stayed open late––past 5:30. So I delivered flyers and poster right to her instead of pushing through the mail slot.

Many motor homes made the ride from Newport to Florence slow-going. It was indeed August.

It was 7 p.m. when I dropped off Connie at her home and a few minutes later when I got home. All my get up and go had got up and gone, as my mother used to say. I was exhausted. I hadn’t slept well the night before, the coffee had worn off, and my back hurt from sitting behind the wheel for so long. So I unloaded everything and gave some attention to and fed Sir Groucho. Then I dealt quickly with the mail and phone and email messages. I skipped dinner and was in bed by 9 p.m. It had been a very long day.

In our quest to spread the word about the FFOB, we got most of the flyers and posters delivered, and I sold 27 books. Connie got paid for some books on consignment and sold four more. All in all, a good trip!

About crossingsauthor

Judy Fleagle spent 22 years teaching 1st and 2nd grades and 21 years as editor/staff writer with Oregon Coast and Northwest Travel magazines.Since 2009, she has written five books: "Crossings: McCullough's Coastal Bridges," "The Crossings Guide to Oregon's Coastal Spans," "Around Florence," "Devil Cat and Other Colorful Animals I Have Known," and "The Oregon Coast Guide to the UNEXPECTED!!!."
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to #152–A long day’s journey . . .

  1. Judy Fleagle says:

    Sometimes it seems like life is just one big adventure!

  2. Hope says:

    So enjoyed reading all about your adventure.

Comments are closed.