#115–Squeezing it in . . .

Once you’ve got your books out there, you can’t just say, “That’s done!” and forget about them. If a bookstore or other venue calls and wants more, you need to send or deliver right away. You can’t let it go, just because you’re busy.

Crossings and The Crossings Guide are in numerous venues.

Crossings and The Crossings Guide are in numerous venues.

This was a crazy busy week, and I wasn’t sure I could deliver any books. And I was supposed to be getting posters and flyers about the Florence Festival of Books to towns up and down the coast. Here’s how I got it done.

Monday––I had a 10 a.m. appointment to tape a segment about the Florence Festival of Books (FFOB) at the radio station for the upcoming Our Town program. Then I went back home to get ready for FFOB meetings that afternoon and the next day. At 2 p.m. I met with my co-chair Connie Bradley and committee member and Florence Events Center Community Outreach Manager Lindsey Phillips and we assigned tables to authors and publishers.

Deadline was September 6 and we ended up with a full house: 9 publishers and 80 authors plus 1 group of 6-8-year-old authors participating. We made sure those who want to sit next to a particular table get to, those sharing are at the same table as their sharing partner, those who paid for an eight-foot table get it, those who paid for a six-foot table get it, those wanting electricity are placed in the section that will have it, that the children have extra space, that the one with a wheelchair is placed near the front and on an end, and so on.

When we were through, I headed for Yachats. I had called ahead to Mari’s Books and Mary said she would stick around.(Mari’s is operated by sisters Mary and Mari.) They close at 5 p.m, and I got there about 5:15. If I hadn’t called ahead, I would have missed Mary. She had called me last week and left a message regarding needing books.

Mari's Books in Yachats does a wonderful job of selling my books.

Mari’s Books in Yachats does a wonderful job of selling my books.

Wednesday––I got up at 3:30 a.m. to take a friend to the hospital at River Bend in Springfield. She arrived at my house at 5:30 and we were there in plenty of time for her 7:30 appointment. It was the first of a few appointments preceding a two-hour procedure that did not involve surgery. It would be followed by a couple of hours of recovery. So at 9:30 I headed for Eugene’s downtown. I had called ahead the day before between meetings.  So everyone was expecting me.

I parked close to J. Michaels bookstore and then walked to SmithFamily Bookstore. It’s always hard to find parking there. I walked 10 to 12 blocks there and the same back. It gave me some exercise, and I had plenty of time. Smith Family bought some books and both bookstores were glad to have flyers and posters about the FFOB. Then I drove over to Black Sun and then as usual got lost trying to find Tsunami. It is close by, but I seem to always get turned around and head back toward the U of O campus and then get really lost. I did eventually find it. Both venues were pleased with the flyers and posters also. Then I headed back to the hospital and ate my lunch there.

The only bookstore that needed more books--on this trip.

The only Eugene bookstore that needed more books–on this trip.

I arrived back in the waiting room about 1 p.m., and at 4 p.m., I was allowed in to see my friend. I got her prescriptions filled before she was discharged. And about 6 p.m., we were heading home. She spent the night at my house, since they didn’t want her alone that night.

Friday––I spent part of the morning getting invoices ready and wrapping parcels of books for Gold Beach Books and Bloomsbury Books in Ashland, both had called earlier in the week. I also prepared a parcel for Langlois Library that included packets of flyers and posters for libraries in Port Orford, Gold Beach, and Brookings that will be delivered through their library system.

The Historic Alsea Bay Bridge Interpretive Center called on Thursday needing more books.  So Friday morning, I made calls to other places carrying my books in Waldport, Newport, Otter Rock, and Lincoln City. I didn’t get though to everyone, but I left messages. So after lunch, I headed up the coast. It was overcast––no glare, no rain––my favorite driving weather. I stopped at every place I had called.

The 2013 Florence Festival of Books poster and flyers.

The 2013 Florence Festival of Books poster and flyers.

In Waldport, I delivered five books at the Interp Center and dropped off flyers and posters there and at the library. In Newport, I dropped off flyers and posters at the chamber of commerce, at Nye Beach Book House, at the library, and at Yaquina Head Interpretive Center. Yaquina Head also bought 12 books. At Otter Rock, I stopped at the Flying Dutchman Winery and delivered six books. In Lincoln City, I dropped off flyers and posters at Bob’s Beach Books and the library. Got home about 8 p.m.

Bottom line: I sold 23 books on Friday, three on Wednesday, and five on Monday plus the seven I mailed. A total of 38 books sold this week. It wasn’t easy, but I squeezed it in!

About crossingsauthor

Judy Fleagle spent 22 years teaching 1st and 2nd grades and 21 years as editor/staff writer with Oregon Coast and Northwest Travel magazines.Since 2009, she has written five books: "Crossings: McCullough's Coastal Bridges," "The Crossings Guide to Oregon's Coastal Spans," "Around Florence," "Devil Cat and Other Colorful Animals I Have Known," and "The Oregon Coast Guide to the UNEXPECTED!!!."
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to #115–Squeezing it in . . .

  1. Evelyn says:

    If you ever decide to change careers, I think Time Management Coaching would be a good choice. You’ve obviously reached expert status. What a whirlwind week; I hope you get to rest a bit after the book festival.

    An interesting side note: On Saturday, we had a dedication ceremony for our new Veterans Memorial here in Gold Beach, which was very touching. There was a great turnout, and I noticed a woman in the crowd holding a copy of both your books. Of course, I had to track her down and ask her about the books. I listened while she told me how beautiful they are and how helpful they’ve been during her trip down the Oregon Coast (she lives in Washington and had bought the books in Astoria?, I think she said).

    We had a great chat, and when I told her I knew the author, she squealed. I didn’t get her name, but you have an enthusiastic fan making her way slowly along the coast with YOUR books in hand. I thought you’d appreciate knowing you already have groupies…or at least one.

    • I love it! We can all use fans! I spent today trouble shooting for the Florence Festival of Books. Yesterday, I put together the list of authors and publishers participating along with their table numbers. I thought it was final. I learned otherwise this morning after a phone call during breakfast and an email a few minutes later. I had to figure out a way to fit in one more table and take care of a few seating problems. After some serious thought and more phone calls, we got it figured out. I then met with the folks at the events center and Kevin, the Director, made the necessary changes on the table layout, which required some renumbering. He got the new layout with numbered tables ready, and I went home and made the necessary changes on a revised list. Then I double checked everything before sending it off to the newspaper. Today was the deadline for the table layout and numbered list tthat will be the centerfold in the newspaper supplement that will come out a week from this Wednesday and be devoted totally to the FFOB. It will also be the program the day of the event. Glad it’s done!

Comments are closed.